Sunday, September 5, 2010

Nap Nightmare

I am soooo frustrated with Jonathan's naps.

It's gotten to the point that I dread the weekends because I don't know how his napping is going to be. Which, frankly, sucks, because the weekend is our time with our baby and I don't want to dread what is basically the only time I get to spend with him.

At daycare, they are fully on the one nap schedule now. They claimed that if he was showing signs of exhaustion in the morning, they would let him sleep, but at daycare, he is so distracted by the other children and all the fun they are having that he doesn't act sleepy. He seems to be doing ok with the one nap, actually. During the week that is.

But on the weekends, he is just at home, with boring old mom and dad. He shows signs of being sleepy at 9ish, but I CANNOT get him to sleep. Jer has better luck, but even still, it is such a battle now compared with only a few weeks ago, when he was predictably sleepy at 9 and 1:30PM.

Yesterday we tried one nap but it was an utter failure. He fell asleep three times for five minute naplets in the morning as we tried in vain to keep him up. Then at 12, which is daycare's naptime, I couldn't get him to sleep, even after 30 minutes of trying. Of course Jer swept in and got him asleep in 15 minutes. How long did he sleep? 30 minutes.

All this on top of Jonathan waking up more frequently in the night and earlier and earlier in the morning lately. Plus, last night we had another episode of croup which kept the whole family up until midnight.

Now I have no idea what the right thing to do is - should we try to keep him up until 12 every day, to be consistent with daycare, even though he is clearly exhausted by then? Or should we try to put him down for a morning nap, inconsistent with the weekdays, which he is fighting off anyway?

I am angry at daycare for forcing this on us. I am annoyed that Jeremy can get Jonathan to sleep and lately I can't. And with the exception of learning to breastfeed in the early weeks, I have never been so frustrated with motherhood.

No comments:

Post a Comment